How To Keep Your Gut Healthy
THE FUNCTIONS OF THE BOWEL SYSTEM
The bowel is important in:
- Digesting food & transferring nutrition into cells.
- Processing wastes & eliminate them from the body.
- Immune support, protection against invading pathogen organism.
There are 2 ways of how the bowel support our immune system. First, the inner surface of the bowel, called ‘tight junction’ act as filter against invading pathogen organism, toxins, glutens, etc. Secondly, the beneficial bacteria in the bowel, preventing the over-growth of harmful organism.
The results of unhealthy gut, with a backed-up bowel system, is sickness & disease including dysfunction of other organs (i.e. liver), constipation and the attendant symptoms of self-intoxication, diverticular disease (herniation of the colon), hemorrhoid, irritable bowel syndrome, leaky-gut syndrome & colon/rectal cancer.
It has been related to other diseases including diabetes, gall stones, kidney stones, gout, hypertension, autoimmune diseases and obesity.
Read more: Signs of Healthy / Unhealthy Gut
In order to keep your gut healthy, you need to do all of these 4 things:
- Daily fiber intake.
- Probiotic supplementation.
- Bowel stimulation.
- Bowel cleansing.
DAILY FIBER INTAKE
We need a good source of soluble fiber to compensate for all of the fibreless processed foods, meat, and dairy that we eat. The three best sources of fiber are:
- Freshly ground organic flaxseed meal. 1.5 tablespoons of ground flaxseed in the morning and evening, with juice. It should be freshly ground, or at the very least stabilized, so that it does not go rancid.
- White chia seeds. 1-2 tablespoons of white chia seeds sprinkled on your food will keep you regular. Flax and chia also provide you with healthy omega-3 essential oils.
- Psyllium seed husks. One tablespoon of psyllium each day. Psyllium has the advantage of not fermenting in the colon.
When healthy, over 100 trillion microorganism covering the digestive system surface from mouth to rectal. A properly functioning intestinal tract is one of your body's first lines of defense against invaders. In a healthy colon there are, on average, 100 billion – 100 trillion beneficial bacteria per milliliter that literally consume harmful bacteria & other invaders, also aiding in digestion, absorption & production of vitamins & enzymes.
Unfortunately the level of beneficial bacteria decline as human body ages. Some of the reasons of these decline are:
* Over time, the colonies of friendly bacteria just naturally age and lose their vitality.
* Disruptions and changes in the acid/alkaline balance of the bowels.
* Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) like ibuprofen.
* Chlorine in the drinking water.
* Non-organic meat, chicken & dairy that you eat.
* A diet high in meats and fats, because they take so long to break down in the human body, promotes the growth of the harmful, putrefying bacteria.
* Constipation, of course, allows harmful bacteria to hang around longer, which allows them to proliferate.
* Cigarettes, alcohol & stress are also major cause.
* Antibiotics, indiscriminately destroy both bad & good bacteria and causes the overgrowth of harmful pathogens in the gastrointestinal tract (a condition called dysbiosis).
Consistent use of a good probiotic formula is essential to promote the growth of beneficial bacteria colonies in the intestinal tract. Also, for some people, a good probiotic formula alone will serve to wake up their colon and get it working again.
A good probiotic formula:
* The strain is based on L. acidophillus & Bifidobacteria.
* The amount of the live organism from the time of the manufacture. Depends on individual need, the dailyrequirement range from 50 million to 50 billion.
* Choose one that was developed using full-culture processing, so that the beneficial bacteria & its medium are kept together. The medium contain beneficial byproducts vitamins, enzymes, antioxidant & immune stimulator.
The case of yoghurt:
* The bacteria usually used to make yoghurt, L. bulgaricus & S. thermophilus, are not the key beneficial ones.
* Most yoghurt in store are pasteurized after the culture, which will destroys all the benefits from yoghurt.
Most people will need a stimulating herbal colon activating formula that provides both cleansing and healing to the entire gastrointestinal system (at least until their colon function rebuilds).
Periodically (approximately every 3-6 months, depends on individual need), you will need a proper bowel cleansing to help draw old fecal matter off the walls of your colon & out of any bowel pockets and to also draw out poisons, toxins, heavy metals & drug residues from your body. Read more about Bowel Cleansing.